Numerous cities in Poland will be protesting tomorrow against a legislative project completely banning abortions.
Right now, abortion in Poland is illegal except in the following three cases: when the pregnancy is a result of rape or incest; when the life of the pregnant woman is in danger; or when the fetus is severely damaged. This is already one of the most restrictive abortion laws in Europe.
There is a new legislative project that aims to restrict this law even further, making abortion completely illegal. This means that:
– Rape survivors and children will be forced to give birth.
– Women that might die due to their pregnancy will have no way to legally terminate it.
– A miscarriage might be punished with a sentence, as fetal murder will enter the criminal code.
– The state will have the right to bypass a person’s constitutional rights to protect unborn children.
– Since prenatal testing is connected to a very small risk of miscarriage, it will be banned and doctors performing it might face criminal charges.
– The morning-after pill will be categorized as an early abortion tool and thus completely banned (same with IUDs).